The “Dog Days of Summer” will be here before we know it and if the weather where you are is anything like it is here in North Carolina – it’s hot, sticky and humid! Ice has quickly become the go-to “treat” of choice when the scorching sun has our pups parched and thirsty; all I have to do is say “ice cube” and they come running!
We figured we’d kick it up a notch and create our very own “Pupsicles” for Franco and Allie to enjoy. These are MUCH cheaper than the frozen dog treats you can get at your local grocery store and the ingredients are not only tasty but healthy for your pets. These are great single serve dog treats for fun, a party or retail! Also, be sure to check out my previous post on 2 ingredient dog treats – super simple and your dogs will LOVE them!
Place the bananas into the cup and set one biscuit vertically on top…
Pour the broth & applesauce mixture into the cup and freeze until firm.
Recipe is below! I’d love to hear your feedback if you choose to make these for your dogs!
- 2 cups low sodium beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups of all natural apple sauce
- 1 banana
- 16 dog biscuits
- Begin by slicing the banana into 16 sections and placing one slice into each 3 oz. Dixie cup (You could probably use a mini muffin tin, ice cube tray, etc. but we like the convenience of the cups.)
- Place one dog biscuit vertically into each cup; these will serve as the handles so make sure you don't cover it up entirely with the broth mixture.
- Once the broth has cooled (if you are using bouillon cubes as we did), mix it with the apple sauce and divide evenly among each cup.
- Place the treats in the freezer in a box (shoe box works great) or on a tray to keep the treats from falling and freeze until firm.
- When you're ready to serve hold the Dixie cup under warm running water for a few seconds to break the treat away from the cup and serve. You may also let them sit outside for a minute on a hot day and they will be ready to go in no time!