I learned a lot about cooking from my Mom. To this day, I think that she’s one of the absolute best cooks around and not simply because she’s my mother. I love that she doesn’t play by the rules and she doesn’t have to strictly follow a recipe. She makes things up as she goes, doesn’t measure, throws in a little bit of this and a little bit of that and BOOM! – the result is always something tasty. There are so many dishes that I request either while I’m visiting, she’s visiting, holidays or for any other special occasions; one of these dishes is her potato salad. This is usually a staple at any of our big family dinners and sadly the last time I got a chance to
eat pig out on it was for Easter.
Mom, if you’re reading this – I’m putting in my request for potato salad!
- 5 lbs. white potatoes, cubed
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Duke's is the best!)
- 2 tbs yellow mustard
- 1/8 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs sugar
- salt and pepper
- Cube potatoes and boil until they become soft (but not mushy!); allow to cool in a large bowl.
- Boil eggs, chop and allow to cool.
- Combine mayonnaise, yellow mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until thoroughly mixed; set aside.
- Once cool, combine the potatoes, eggs, green pepper and celery.
- Add mayonnaise mixture to potato mixture and gently stir to coat potatoes.
- Garnish with paprika if desired.
- This is such a simple yet crowd pleasing recipe, perfect for a large group! Garnish with green onion, bacon bits or even stir in blue cheese to add your spin on the recipe.