Spring has finally sprung (officially!). We’ve had an insanely mild winter so I can’t complain about the bitter cold but I always look forward to the first day of Spring. Spring breezes, fresh air, flowers and trees in bloom and my sweet little Charlee’s birthday – all reasons I love this season! Plus, with us living at the coast now, warm weather means that we can enjoy all of the outdoor activities that this area has to offer.
Speaking of at living at the coast, it’s going wonderfully. I’ll have to write a blog post dedicated specifically to our move but for now, I’ll just say that things are great! One of the reasons is being so close to my parents and the ability to host out of town family and friends. It’s so nice to have the space to entertain and you know what? We’ve had more guests at our new house within the past 3 months than we did in the last 3 years in Raleigh! Crazy, right?
Just last week, we had Justin’s mother, Aunt S and my parents over for some grilling and delicious cheesecake. I bet you were hoping I’d just hurry up and get to the cheesecake, huh? 😉
I wanted to make something decadent, indulgent and no-bake for our guests and I knew that a couple of them LOVE coffee. Coffee + chocolate = a no brainer. To me, it’s a better pairing than peanut butter and jelly.
The crust – GOODNESS! Just pure, buttery Shortbread bliss thanks to Walkers Shortbread Fingers. When I told everyone that I used Walkers Shortbread in the crust, I began to see big smiles form. They know what’s good!
The filling comes together quite easily and is the perfect balance of dark chocolate and coffee. I topped everything off with a decadent poured dark chocolate ganache, Walkers Shortbread Fingers and pieces of a dark chocolate candy bar. Such a treat! Everyone seemed to love it and I know that my husband and I were more than happy that we had some leftover in the fridge for an indulgent snack the next day!
- 2 cups Walkers Shortbread Fingers, crushed
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
- 3 cups Cool-Whip
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup melted dark chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp instant coffee
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 2½ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Mix cookie crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter until fully combined.
- Spread mixture into a 9inch springform pan and pat down firmly.
- Chill until set (I let mine chill for a couple hours).
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and beat mixture again.
- Dissolve coffee powder in heavy cream and add to the chocolate cream cheese mixture and mix.
- Combine gelatin and water in a small cup and let it bloom for 3 minutes. Then, heat it in the microwave until it dissolves (do not overheat - I learned the hard way! Try 30 seconds)
- When the gelatin mixture cools down a bit, add it into the chocolate cream cheese mixture and mix again.
- Fold in whipped cream until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon this mixture on top of the shortbread crust.
- Refrigerate the cake for a few hours or until the cheesecake layer sets.
- In a saucepan, add heavy cream and set it to medium heat.
- Bring the cream just to a boil (do not boil it), remove from heat and add chocolate.
- Whisk everything together until the chocolate fully melts and you have a smooth and glossy mixture.
- Allow the ganache to cool and pour over chilled cheesecake after removing it from the springform pan.
(**Thank you to Walkers Shortbread for sending me the delicious cookies!**)